Ad Sense

Thursday, February 25, 2021

THE PERFECT ASSISTANT

THE PERFECT ASSISTANT (2008 telefilm). Director: Douglas Jackson. 

Rachel Partson (Josie Davis) is an excellent assistant to ad exec David Westcott (Chris Potter) but she's harboring a secret. She is so pathologically in love with the man that she's willing to resort to anything, including murder, to have him for herself. This quite entertaining teleflick gets across the anguish, hope and delusional state of unrequited love so strongly that you almost find yourself feeling sorry for a woman who is otherwise not very sympathetic. It doesn't hurt that Josie Davis gives a terrific performance as the sociopathic assistant. The premise of a deranged woman out to get a man by any means necessary is a popular and familiar one, but The Perfect Assistant is one of the better films on the subject. Rachel Hunter plays one of Westcott's associates. 

 Verdict: Absorbing and suspenseful. ***.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this too and liked it a lot! Did you ever see The Temp with Lara Flynn Boyle and Timothy Hutton? Similar theme, a little more outlandish, with a wonderful Mommie/Network-like turn by Faye Dunaway as a ruthless lady exec...I thought of it when I was watching this.
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen "The Temp!" At least I think I have. I any case I am going to look for it. Interesting cast!

    ReplyDelete