Ad Sense

Thursday, June 20, 2024

I'LL BE DAMNED: HOW MY YOUNG AND RESTLESS LIFE LED ME TO AMERICA'S # 1 DAYTIME DRAMA

I'LL BE DAMNED: HOW MY YOUNG AND RESTLESS LIFE LED ME TO AMERICA'S # 1 DAYTIME DRAMA. Eric Braeden with Lindsay Harrison. New York: William Morrow; 2017. 

Years ago when I saw a movie called ColossusThe Forbin Project I thought to myself that the star, Eric Braeden, didn't really have that all-important big-screen presence. So it's perfectly understandable that Braeden -- born Hans Gudegast in Germany -- would have his greatest success on the small screen, playing the rather fascinating character of Victor Newman (and playing it quite well) on the CBS soap The Young and the Restless for decades. Braeden discusses his childhood at length, not shying away from his German background. He grew up to deplore anti-Semitism and prejudice of any kind (he is silent about LGBT issues, however). I'll Be Damned covers Braeden's recurring role on The Rat Pack, his frequent guest-starring roles, his long-term marriage to the love of his life, his love of sports, and his son -- and of course his experiences, good and bad, on Y&R. (It's hard to believe that he ever would have been seriously considered for the role of 007, however.) Reading the book, one suspects that Braden can be just as autocratic off-screen as he is onscreen as Victor Newman. Braeden is now 82-years-old and still going strong! Good for him!

Verdict: A good read about a very interesting fellow. ***. 

4 comments:

  1. He is always good, always menacing. I also watched him on the soap in the 80s, but enjoy him most in two of his movies in my collection--the cameo in Titanic, and in the role of the villainous doctor who has Zira and Cornelius assassinated in Escape from the Planet of the Apes. Need to write about them apes films, and I will definitely mention Braeden!)
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Titanic since it came out but I got the impression if you blinked you missed Braeden in that one. Haven't seen the Apes film you mention in decades. Would love to read what you have to say about them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will write about those original Planet of the Apes films just for you, Bill. I love McDowall and got to meet him--he was an idol....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I scheduled an interview with him once -- I think it was for a piece on Vincent Price -- but when I called at the proper time he didn't answer the phone, LOL!

    ReplyDelete